Whether in the East or West, Chamomile has been used as medicine for sleep related and other purposes as well. Below is a compiled list of benefits and goodness from chamomile:
- It helps to heal wounds and treat cuts – in ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, chamomile has be used to accelerate wound healing. In a recent lab test, those rats that were given chamomile flavored water able to have their wounds heal faster the others. This has proved that chamomile can help to heal wounds.
- Help in treating Diabetes – there are researches shown that chamomile tea able to lower the sugar level in blood.
- Has antibacterial effect – beside the help to the wound healing, It also protect us from bacterial related infection and illness.
- Relax muscle – It has also proven that this herb can raise the level of glycine in our body. This compound can relax muscle. Thus it helps in soothing all types of muscle related pain like muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, stomach ache, various types of ulcers and so on.
- Promote sleep – besides relaxing muscle, it also help in soothing nervous system. With that, it enable us to sleep better. It has been used for hundreds of years to treat insomnia.
- Fight cancer cell – Some preliminary researches has shown that it is able to reverse abnormal cell growing. Though further researches needed to confirm how it can do that, it has proven that its capacity to fight cancerous cells.
- Maintain healthy skin – beside its anti-bacterial capability, it also has anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties that can protect us from skin irritations like acne, allergies and eczema.
- Hemorrhoid Treatment – Chamomile in ointment form, has been used to sooth hemorrhoids as well.
- Help treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome – property in Chamomile will help to soothe and relax the stomach and bowel.
- help to clear dark circles under eyes – by applying the wet lukewarm chamomile tea bag on eyes for 5 minutes. After that, wash your eyes with clean water. It will lighten the color of the dark circles.
- reduce swelling – also using the tea bag, but this time we let it completely cool down, with ice. Then apply on the swollen area. Please apply 2 times in a day.
- cure hair dandruff and help to grow hair – At 1st, we will need to make chamomile decoction. Stew about 1 ounce(30 grams) of shredded dried Chamomile in 2 ½ measure of clean water for about half an hour. Let it cool and then strain and keep the water to apply as hair wash.
- boost immune system – because of its anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, it is able to help to battle against bacterial thus boost our immune system.
- remove wrinkles – with anti-oxidant effects, it can heal our skin from wrinkles and make us look young again.
It is very easy to make this kind of herbal tea. You can just pour hot water on the tea bag and let it steep for 5 minutes or so. It does not content caffeine. You can drink it alone or mix it with other plants like lavender. Of course, as mentioned above, there are many other ways to apply chamomile for our benefits.