In the hot summer afternoon, do you feel the urge to have something cooling, refreshing and comes with a tinkering garden scent?
Yes, that’s a tall glass of iced lemon tea. Lemon, definitely is not just for refreshing feeling. It has many goodness in it.
The plant might have 1st found in Assam, northeast of India, northern Burma and south of China. There is another saying that genetically it is a hybrid of bitter orange and citron. Lemon was introduced to southern Italy about 2000 years ago, when the Roman Empire was ruling the Europe, northern Africa and part of Middle East. But it was mostly used by the high society and only 1000 years later, it started to be widely farmed by Arab world. Then it becomes common in Middle East and Europe.
In the last 2 decades, lemon has been popularized especially by health and beauty industries promoting its goodness. Price of lemon has also soured and breaking record year after year.
Besides high content of citric acid (vitamin C), there are bundles of other vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and choline. There are also high content of dietary fiber, calcium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus.
Some of the goodness in lemon includes:
- Boost kidney health – with its highly concentrated citrix, lemon juice is able to prevent calcium oxalate stones formation by lowering uric acid in our body.
- Constipation and Indigestion – when having a hefty meal, it is always good to have a tall glass of honey lemon. It will help our stomach to digest the food.
- Treat Fever – vitamin C will give us a speedy recovery from fever, flu and cold, with increase in perspiration.
- Dental Care – by applying juice on the toothache area, it will help to relieve the pain. It can also stop gum bleeding and bad odor by massaging the gum with the juice.
- Hair Care – by applying the juice on the scalp, it can treat dandruff and even some types of hair loss. By applying on the hair, it can make it look shining.
- Skin Care – As a natural antiseptic, it can relieve the sun burn pain, bee sting pain. But we need to take note that after applying on the skin, do not go under the sun again as it will make the skin turn dark. Also, frequent drinking of honey lemon will give your skin a healthy glow.
- Old Burns Relief – by rubbing the lemon on the old burn, it will fade the scars. As a cooling effect, it will soothe the skin’s burning sensation.
- Help weight loss – metabolism will be improved by drinking lukewarm honey lemon thus it helps to reduce weight.
- Speedy Recovery – with its high concentration vitamin C, it helps patients recover from various sickness.
Thus, beside lemon tea and honey lemon, do not miss out the fruit and vegetable juices that added with lemon. But, do watch out some of the flavored drinks are just artificial.