Have you eaten too much and your stomach is a little too heavy now? And you want something sweet but you don’t want to sour taste? Yes, papaya juice is the one.
This fruit is originated from Central America but now is grown in the tropical belt around the world. Though it taste sweet but it has relative low calories compare other sweet fruits. The fruit content is soft but it still carry a bundle of nutrients. It is also a very popular fruit especially among children. Pound for pound, it is also relatively cheaper than many other fruits.
For every 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of papaya, there is a whopping 62 grams of vitamin C, that is about 75% of our daily requirements. Besides vitamin C, there are also high content of various type of vitamin As, B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E and K. For minerals, there are substantial amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. There are also high amount of soluble dietary fiber and various type of enzymes like lycopene and many others.
Papaya is not only a great fruit for general health, it can also be beneficial for some with certain health issues. The list of benefits that can be provided by papaya are:
- Maintain strong immune system – with its high content of vitamin C, our internal system is always being well maintained thus it prevent us from many types of diseases.
- Keep our eyes healthy – the vitamin A and various types of flavonoids will keep our eyes healthy especially for those who uses computer and/or microscope for a long time.
- Minimize cancer risk – the high content of antioxidants, and enzymes in papaya will keep the free radicals away. Studies has shown that regular papaya intake will lower prostate cancer and prevent colon cancer risk. The enzyme breakdowns to outer layer of cancer cells so that our immune system can further destroy them and keep us safe.
- Keep our skin stay young and healthy – the vitamin C, E and beta-carotene in papaya will help us to fight wrinkles, and the general health of our body healthy.
- Maintain healthy digestive system – the high content of papain enzyme can help to digest food and ease our stomach from working too hard and maintain its performance.
- Ease menstrual pain – though it may not be as immediate as aspirin, give it a bit more time, it will also ease the menstrual pain. It should be healthier option than aspirin, right?
- Help in losing weight – though it taste sweet, it has a lower level of calories compare to many food with the same volume. Although its texture may feel soft, it can make us feel full longer.
- Lower bad cholesterol – with dietary fiber, it will be absorbed into our body to lower the bad cholesterol and further protect our heart and prevent stroke.
Thus, when you are buying fruit juices, we should not miss out those that contain papaya.