Tired of orange, apple, or all other citrus fruit juices? Want to feel something tropical, something exotic, yet cheap? Yes, pineapple juice is the one and it also has all goodness needed by our body, maybe even more. It has many types of enzyme that can do wonders to our body.
Pineapple is originated from South America. The fruit was 1st domesticated by Guarani Indians in northern Paraguay. The plant has a small root system and needs to rely on the leaves for the intake of nutrition and water. Thus it needs a dry and well-drained tropical soil and can be easily transplanted.
For 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of raw pineapple, it carries a whopping 47.8 grams of vitamin C, which is about 58% of our daily requirement. Besides that it is also rich in vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and Choline. On Minerals, it is rich in calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and especially manganese, which is also about half of our daily requirement. On top of these, it is also rich with dietary fiber, and many types of enzymes which are good for our digestion system and overall health.
With such an abundant nutrients, it offers a good list of benefits. Some are narrated as below:
- Immune System Support – with just 100 grams, pineapple has more than ½ of recommended daily value of C, which is 1 of the antioxidants that can fight and repair cell damage. With the improvement of immune system, we are less likely to be struck by fever, cold, allergy, cough and other common diseases.
- Bone and connecting tissue support – it also contains nearly ½ of manganese. Together with other minerals, it helps to prevent or at least slow down osteoporosis for post-menopausal women.
- Help in Eye health – macular degeneration, this disease affects the eyesight, especially for senior citizens. With nutrients in the fruit or its juice, the risk to this disease will be greatly reduced.
- Digestive system – bromelain, 1 of the enzyme can help to digest protein. Besides that, the high content of dietary fiber will keep our intestines healthy as well.
- Anti-Inflammatory benefits – bromelain can also minimize inflammation which can reduce growth of tumor. With that, it lower the risk for certain types of cancer.
- Reduce risk of Blood Clot– Also, it was found that frequent intake pineapple can further reduce the formation of blood clot in our body.
- Help in Weight loss – with the dietary fiber, it will make you feel full for a longer time. The vitamins will also help you burn the fat in your body.
Even though it is packed with goodness, we still need to control our intake of the fresh juice or the fruit. Bromelain can interact with some medicines. For those who are taking prescription drugs, please either reduce the intake of pineapple fruit or juice, or have a 3 to 4-hour gap between the fruit and the medicine.
For sensitive person, too much intake of pineapple can cause skin rashes, heart burn (stomach upset), diarrhea, vomiting, increased volume in menstrual bleeding. You will need to observe your body condition if you have not taken pineapple for a long time.